SYLLABUS MAN 6524
LEADERSHIP COMMUNICATION 3 CREDIT UNITS
This course is a guide for students as the current and potential leaders in developing the communication capabilities needed to be transformational leaders. The transformational leaders are the leaders who possess qualities such as idealized influent, inspirational motivation, intellectual stimulation, and individualized consideration. Those leaders need core communication skills, such as analyzing audiences, developing communication strategy, speaking, writing, using and displaying emotional intelligence, and interacting and communicating with diverse audience. This course is designed to provide students a comprehensive view of communication, its scope and importance in business, an effective internal communications program, as well as the role of communication in establishing a favorable situation outside the firm environment.
This course will cover the various types of business communication media and its use in negotiation, as well as develops an awareness of the importance of succinct written expression to modern business communication. It will also cover the need of group and organizational communication abilities such as managing global teams, conducting productive meetings, leading and working successfully in an organizational context, creating and communicating visions, leading change initiatives and fostering external relations.
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the rudiments of intercultural communication, legal and ethical issues confronting business communicators and negotiators especially in global team’s environment,
- Demonstrate a competency in the fundamentals of business communications such as writing, reporting, research as well as informal reports as the current and potential transformational leaders,
- Demonstrate a competency in oral and interpersonal communication including one-on-one, small- group communication, and public presentation, and the use of social media,
- Use technology in the context of business communication professionally,
- Deliver excellent communication method in the organizational context internally and externally (to the related stakeholders).
- Barrett, D.J. (2014). Leadership Communication, 4th Edition. Mc Graw Hill International Edition. (B) Locker, K., and Kaczmarek, S. (2012). Business Communication, 6th Edition. Mc Graw Hill. (LK)
ADDITIONAL READING MATERIALS
- Additional materials will be distributed during the sessions.
This method is a particular type of learning methods under the student-centered learning (SCL) paradigm. In this approach, students are active learners to find and construct their own knowledge. The instructor serves only as a facilitator to help students achieve learning objectives and develop interpersonal skills. The class time will be devoted to discuss any concepts, materials, and or issues in the subject.
- Mid-term Exam (25%)
- Final Exam (25%)
- Presentation, Discussion, Participation (30%)
- Assignment/Quiz (20%)
The course Leadership Communication weighs 3 credit units which is held in 14 sessions of lectures and 2 sessions of exams @ 150 minutes for regular class and 12 sessions of lectures and 2 sessions of exams @ 180 minutes for the executive class.
|1||Leadership Communication||B (Ch.1), LK (Ch. 1)|
|2||Leadership Communication Purpose, Strategy, and Structure||B (Ch.2)
LK (Ch. 2)
|3||The Language of Leaders and the Use of Social Media||B (Ch.3, Ch.4)
LK (Ch. 10, 11, 12)
|4||Leadership Documents||B (Ch.5)
LK (Ch. 9, 13)
|5||Leadership Presentations||B (Ch.6, Ch.7)
LK (Ch. 5, Ch. 20)
|6||Emotional Intelligence and Interpersonal Skills for Leaders||B (Ch.8)
LK (Ch. 17)
|7||Diversity and Intercultural Communication||B (Ch.9); LK (Ch. 3)|
|8||High-Performing Team Leadership||B (Ch.10)
LK (Ch. 18)
|9||Leadership and Productivity||B (Ch.11)|
|10||Leadership Communication in an Organizational Context||B (Ch.12)|
|11||Transformational Leadership Through Effective Internal Communication||B (Ch.13)|
|12||Transformational Leadership Through Effective External Communication||B (Ch.14)|
|13||Group Project Presentation and discussion|
|14||Group Project Presentation and discussion|